Friday, August 7, 2009

It's a Small World After All...

My nephews (and their parents) just returned from a fantastic trip to Magic Kingdom where they (ages 4, 6, 36, and 36) experienced all of the wonder and excitement that Mickey and his friends have to offer kids of all ages.

The 4 year old told me that one of his favorite rides was the beloved "It's a Small World." (Ok...are you singing the song in your head?). I've been thinking a lot lately about how small our world really is.

Two months ago I wouldn't have said that I knew anyone working with orphans. Now, I know four. It started with Doug who founded Orphan World Relief. Then I met Julie who founded doma. Turns out that Doug and Julie (and her husband, Dan) know a lot of the same people but had never been able to connect face-to-face with each other.

I was talking with my dad about my upcoming trip to the Ukraine (with doma) and he said that I should meet his friend, Alex, who grew up as an Orphan in Russia. Turns out that "Dad's Alex" is "Doug's Alex". (Doug and Orphan World Relief work with and support Alex's organization - The Harbor - in Russia.)

When Doug and I were meeting, he suggested that I get in touch with Vicki who has an orphan ministry for children with HIV/AIDS (Montana de Luz) in Honduras. I'm meeting with Vicki in 2 weeks. I want to see about introducing Vicki to Heart to Honduras (who is celebrating their 20th anniversary and with whom I participated in a short-term trip in January).

And I want to introduce Vicki and Heart to Honduras to Mike (who lives in South Carolina and who I met through another loop'd-loop connection) who has a ministry called Reading is Power which works to get books to rural Spanish speaking communities. (If you're going on a mission trip somewhere where they speak Spanish, Mike has developed these great "libraries in a box" which meet airline requirements for a 2nd piece of luggage...might be a great gift for you to take with you to those you're going to serve!!!)

Phew...no wonder I'm feeling tired (in a very good way)...hearing the song repeat over and over in my head accompanied by images of the little children dressed in their native clothing...for such a big planet, it sure is a small world! Especially when you're working to serve others and live your life faithfully! How small is your world?

No comments:

Post a Comment